Sennheiser Pmx 686 Headphones Review – Who Should Buy It?
The Sennheiser pmx 686i is mid-range earphone that is specifically tailored towards athletes and active sport enthusiasts. The company’s effort to team-up with Adidas may prove an added attraction for gym-goers. After reviewing the model, we think that the earphone offers a good sound quality, particularly for music listeners looking for something in the price range of under hundreds of dollars. On the downside, the headphone design has limitations as it does not fit well for everyone.
- Enhanced Flexibility: This headset is designed for business professionals who communicate in desk phone and Skype for Business
- Dual Connectivity: Switch from desk phone to Skype with just a touch on the base station
- Ultra Noise-Cancelling Microphone: Filters out all unwanted background noise for crystal-clear conversations
- Fluid Conferencing: Up to 4 headsets can be paired to a single DECT base station for a call, making conferencing as simple as it should be
- Intuitive Call Control: Answer/end a call, mute the microphone, and adjust volume directly on the headset for added simplicity
- Mobile communications: for professionals using Skype for business, who require a consistently excellent communication solution
- Improved flexibility: connects to two mobile Phones, or a Cell phone & PC, to allow for seamless transitions between connected Bluetooth devices
- Optimized speech clarity: unique speak focus technology with three digital microphones enhances voice clarity in all sound environments and provides the user with consistently clear sound
- Advanced own-voice detection technology: When you are speaking, an own-voice-detector detects your voice and optimizes speech intelligibility as well as reduces background noise for your listener
- Comes equipped: includes with a USB charging cable, USB dongle, ear hook, and carrying case, All designed to ensure you are ready, no matter where you are
- Audiophile fidelity combined with contemporary design elements and professional features like in ear canal fit and strain relief on cable connectors
- Durable housing and rugged, interchangeable cable with the well-known Sennheiser proprietary 2 pin connector that allows for customization according to individual taste
- Improved acoustic design featuring a dynamic transducer with powerful neodymium magnets that ensures outstanding sonic accuracy and clarity
- Unique manual sound tuning function lets you tailor the low frequency response to personal preference
- Ear tip set includes standard silicone, lamella silicone, and Comply foam all in small, medium, and large sizes
- Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Innovative holding system (Twist to Fit system) ensures best possible fit, High passive attenuation of ambient noise
- Impedance: 16 ohm, Frequency Response: 20 - 20000 Hertz, Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 110 dB, THD (total harmonic distortion): <0.2 percent, Cable Length: 1.2 meter, Transducer Principle: Dynamic, Weight Approx: 5 gram
- Powerful, bass driven stereo sound
- Optimized for MP3, iPod, iPhone, CD players and portable gaming systems Symmetrical Cable
- Dynamic speaker systems with powerful neodymium magnets deliver greater sound definition and enhanced bass.Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Excellent attenuation of ambient noise of up to 20dB
- Extremely durable housing and rugged cable
- Sleek ergonomic design of ear canal phones
- 2 year warranty
- Ergonomic around the neck design features soft stitched sheepskin nappa leather neckband offering all day listening comfort.Connectivity Technology: Wireless
- Bluetooth 4.1 with AAC codec support and Apt X compatibility provides exepctional sound quality via crystal clear wireless transmission
- Up to 10 hour battery life with USB charging. Charging time:Approx. 1.5 hrs .Battery time 10 hrs (A2DP/HFP)
- Supports convenient multi connection of up to 2 devices at once, with 3 way calling capability;Pick up pattern : Omni directional
- 2 year global warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer;Ear coupling : Ear Canal
- Apple iOS model using newly designed, tangle-free oval cable featuring 3-button in-line remote with integrated microphone. Connectivity Technology: Wired
- Custom machined, low resonance stainless steel housing deliver a detailed and accurate sound
- High-quality dynamic transducers produce high output level with low distortion
- In ear canal design provides excellent attenuation of ambient noise. Multiple sized ear tips included insuring a personalized fit
- Two year warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer.Device:iPhone/iPad/iPod,Samsung Galaxy,LG,HTC,Sony.
- Bluetooth 4.2 featuring Qualcomm aptX and Qualcomm aptX Low Latency deliver superior sound quality for both music and movies with minimum delay between audio and video.
- Convenient multi-connection with up to 2 devices simultaneously (phones and computers) with 3-way calling support.
- 6-hour battery life with 1.5 hour fast USB charging.
- Personalized fit in the ear canals for excellent attenuation of ambient noise (S, M, L and XL ear adapters included).
- Two-year warranty when purchased from an authorized Sennheiser dealer.
- Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ear
- Bluetooth 4.2 Wireless Technology, featuring Qualcomm apt X and AAC (Advanced Audio Coding) delivering enhanced Hi Fi sound quality
- Premium transducers housed in machined stainless steel in ear sound tunnels deliver signature HD1 sound powerful bass response, detailed vocal projection and a great sound stage
- NFC one touch pairing for immediate connectivity to Bluetooth smart devices
- Convenient multi connection capability with up to 2 devices simultaneously (phones and computers) with voice prompts and 3 way calling support
- Enjoy unrivaled high-end stereo sound created by Sennheiser's unique 7 millimeter dynamic Earbud audio drivers. Frequency response (Microphone)-100 Hz to 10 kHz. Frequency response-5 - 21,000 Hz.Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
- Product Note : If the size of the earbud tips does not match the size of your ear canals or the headset is not worn properly in your ears, you may not obtain the correct sound qualities or call performance. Change the earbud tips to ones that fit more snugly in your ears
- Switch off your surroundings and focus on the deep bass, the natural mids and the clear treble thanks to Active Noise Cancellation providing you with high-fidelity sound even in noisy environments
- Experience uninterrupted play time with the new 7-hour battery life that can be extended up to 28 hours with the charging case for your wireless headphones.Note:If you face issue in Bluetooth connectivity please turn off the Bluetooth function for a couple of minutes, then turn it back on
- In the mood for a movie marathon. With its ergonomic and lightweight design, you can experience unbeatable sound in unbelievable comfort when lounging in front of the TV or while strolling through the city
Design of PMX 686i and Sennheiser 686G Models
Opening the box reveals a subtle, thin and trendy looking bright neon green headset, with ingrained Adidas logo. The 1.2 meter cable length is suitable for most as it allows users to tuck in the headphones under their shirts. The cable also features the stand-alone control consisting of three buttons.
Perhaps, the location of the controls could have been further down allowing users to retain control of the buttons during workouts. Besides, its presence close to the ears makes it inconvenient to change settings. It means that users may struggle to take control during running and jogging. The complexity increases further as a single button in the headphone accounts for multiple settings.
Not everyone may feel that the location of the switch control is a problem, they will need to readjust the headband and earphones, frequently. Regarding the headband, it is provided as an extra support to sustain high-intensity workout. Still, the extra support will do little to help as numerous tests found that the earpiece are frequently dislodged during intense exercise regimen.
Overall, it seems that the old-school plastic earbuds are not be a universal fit. For buyers, it also means that Sennheiser pmx 686i are mostly practical for low-intensity runs for jogging and exercise. However, when wearing in high-intensity situations, it is more practical to try it before spending those $100.
If you are not going to do intense exercise or feel that it will be an acceptable fit for your head size, good sound performance at this price is a hefty bonus. Regarding sound, numerous tests reveal that the headset smoothly filters out high volume noise from trains, traffic and television. In fact, there are no visible degradation or distortion when sound is raised from low to high.
Still, it does not mean that the headphone are able to cancel noise like their pricier counterparts. There will be some noise in and out of the microphone, depending on the volume and the environment. It should also be noted that people who are accustomed to very high levels of sound quality may be distracted because the sound levels does not match the pricier counterparts. Still, this is some of the best sound quality that you can get for the price.
Another feature that makes these earphone stand out from the crowd is sweat-free coating. According to the company, these earphones are specifically designed to cater to excessive sweating resulting from hard exercise. It seems that the company is very confident of their claims as the accompanied literature suggests users to wash the earphones under tap water to remove sweat particles. Perhaps, the plastic design of the headsets was introduced to make it easier to apply sweat-proof and water-proof coatings.
Some users have complained that the anti-bacterial coating is visible after some months of extensive workout. Although online reviews of such complaints are rare, thankfully the company also offers 2-years of warranty to deal with any issues. For most users, Sennheiser approved service centers are mostly available everywhere in and North America and Europe, which should help take care of the issue.
Final Verdict After Sennheiser Pmx 686i Review
Overall, the two models, Sennheiser 686G and Sennheiser 686i offer a descent quality headphone choice that can be used during workouts. Not as good as the similar styled Plantronic backbeat fit, as these model specifications fall short of the perfect design.
As a result, users may find it difficult to keep the earbuds in place during intense workout sessions. Also, prolonged use of the earphones may induce uneasiness and discomfort. Still, the voice quality is good enough to warrant its use because additional features such as anti-bacterial sweat-proof coating and resistance of the plastic cable to water makes it a viable alternative to various pricier models.